If you would like to MN AALAS to post a job on your behalf, please contact us at email@example.com.
Jobs will be posted on this page for 2 months and then removed. Please contact an administrator at our MNAALAS email if you need to post a position, have a position re-posted, or to remove a position early.
All positions need to have a position title, description, qualifications, name of employer, link to application.
Research Technician – Small Animal
Works with small laboratory animals in the conduct of preclinical research related to biocompatibility, pharmacology and toxicology studies.
· Dosing of and scoring of test agents in small animals
· Documenting a variety of activities
· Assisting with preparing animals for surgery
· Monitoring animals during procedure and post-operatively
· Intravenous and cardiac blood collection
· Post-procedure euthanasia per established protocols
· Small animal receipt
· Preventive health maintenance
· Assisting with husbandry procedures
please apply at American Preclinical Services
- Desire to work with small laboratory animals
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in related veterinary field (Animal Science, Veterinary Technology or Biology), or the LAT certification is required, and a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) certification is preferred.
- Experience in a laboratory setting is preferred, however knowledge of research animal physiology, pharmacology, and general animal care required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
Job Title Associate Director of Veterinary Services
Job ID 336528
Location University of Minnesota Twin Cities
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Special Notice for COVID-19
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, plus 8 or more years of work-related experience
- Diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Experience directing a Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency program
About the Job
Research Animal Resources strives to advance scientific progress and promote the humane treatment of animals, in partnership with the University of Minnesota’s research community, by providing exemplary service & education in animal care, procurement, health and well-being.
The Associate Director of Veterinary Services for RAR is responsible for promoting the mission by providing programmatic support to the department and providing and overseeing clinical laboratory animal medicine care. He/she provides regulatory and veterinary expertise to researchers (students, staff and faculty) via direct consultation, committee participation, review or research protocols and teaching. He/she also serves as co-Director of the Minnesota Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency Consortium and oversees training of graduate veterinarians in the field of laboratory animal medicine.
1. Personnel Management (30%)
- Supervise, mentor and coach a team of Laboratory Animal Medicine Veterinarians and Laboratory Animal Medicine Residents to ensure appropriate veterinary clinical care and consistency between areas in adherence to Departmental guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Monitor employees’ performance and provide timely feedback when performance does not meet expectations.
- Lead Veterinary Services team meetings and provide guidance and feedback when necessary.
2. Regulatory Compliance (20%)
- Participate in design/review of research protocols through participation on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and the Institutional Biosafety Committee, or by request directly from principal investigators and/or their staff.
- Perform inspections of University animal facilities and laboratories, and participate in semi-annual program reviews as a member of the IACUC.
- Advise on appropriate medications, procedures, and model design.
- Ensure that animal care, housing, transportation and use complies with all applicable federal and state laws, as well as University policy, RAR policy, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Prepare the annual USDA Annual Report for the Research Facility.
- Serve as a member of the IACUC Leadership group and assist in setting vision and direction for the IACUC with respect to processes and policies.
- Assist in providing requested information during regulatory inspections.
3. Programmatic support (20%)
- Work with the RAR Director on matters involving facilities and personnel management, updating Departmental guidelines and SOPs.
- Work with the Financial Operations Manager and staff regarding RAR business processes.
- Work with and advise the RAR Assistant Director of Operations regarding Departmental operations such as the impact to the Department during facility construction.
- Serve on committees and attend interdepartmental meetings as the RAR representative to share information and advocate for the Department.
- Assist in preparation of the Program Description and facility preparedness for site visits by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC).
4. Teaching/Training (20%)
- Assist in creating and/or offer lectures, labs, and seminars for veterinary students, animal care staff, veterinary technicians, area supervisors, and research staff and/or faculty.
- Research, write, and/or amend reference documents for direct use in teaching researchers, students, RAR employees, or other individuals associated with the University.
- Mentor, train, and support new veterinary colleagues and students regarding laboratory animal medicine, facility and personnel management and regulatory compliance.
- Serve as residency co-director and assist in implementation and provide oversight of the Minnesota Laboratory Animal Medicine Consortium residency training program.
5. Customer Service (5%)
- Assist Investigators and research personnel on development of their research protocols.
- Connect researchers with the resources needed to fulfill their study objectives.
- Respond to requests for equipment, information, space, and special care and services in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and assist with resolution related to service and billing disputes.
6. Other Duties As Assigned, including clinical veterinary care (5%)
About the Department
Research Animal Resource (RAR) is under the Office of the Vice President for Research. RAR’s primary focus is on the service and administration of the animal care and use program at the U of MN. Laboratory Animal Medicine Veterinarians are part of a staff of over 150 employees including Academy and Professional Staff, Civil Service, Union Represented and Student Employees. RAR has a daily census of more than 24,000 rodent cages in 20 buildings split into 7 geographic teams between the Minneapolis and St. Paul Campus.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online at https://humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job . To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).